Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Sweet Heart

Andrew's pediatrician has heard a heart murmur for over a year now and wanted him to see a pediatric cardiologist just to make sure everything was OK. Well our appointment was today. The Lord was so sweet not to allow me to get anxious about Andrew's heart. I have had peace all along. Although, I was anxious about the timing of the appointment- 1:00 which is nap time. Yesterday I received a confirmation phone call from the doctors office and a warning that the appointment could last up to 2 1/2 hours so be prepared with food, toys, etc. I thought oh my goodness this could make for a crazy day. Well praise the Lord! When we walked in there was no one else in the waiting room and the nurse said she would be with me in 10 minutes because they were finishing up lunch. He was called back within 15 minutes and we left 45 minutes later. Woohoo!

Andrew was the cutest/sweetest little boy today. I wish I would have had my camera to take a few pictures of him. They nurse took his blood pressure, pulse, and did an EKG. He has about 10 different wires attached to his chest and something on his big toe. In order for him not be scared I called them "tools". If you know Andrew, you know that he LOVES tools! He "works" everyday for hours with his tools. He was so excited that the nurse was using her special tools on HIM. When she finished - he clapped saying, "good job!". Hilarious!

When the doctor came in the room he showed Andrew his stethoscope and let him touch it. I, of course called it a tool and Andrew was so into what the doctor was doing. He laid still and did just as the doctor asked. When the doctor was finished Andrew clapped again saying, "good job doctor!". Oh I love him. The good news is : He has what is called an innocent benign heart murmur. Which means he is fine, healthy, nothing to worry about it! Thank you Lord! Innocent heart murmurs are common and may occur in as many as 4 out of 5 children. They may go away and sometimes com back again. Most innocent murmurs go away by adulthood. Andrew does not need a follow visit and has no physical restrictions. Don't you love having peace of mind? Thank you Lord Jesus... you are so good to us!

4 comments:

Lindsey Williamson said...

sweet boy! ellie jane freaks out at the drs office :)
glad he's healthy!

Lindsay said...

YAY! Glad everything turned out well. And I absolutely love you using the word "tool" to make the experience a positive one for him. I hope I turn into as creative a parent as you!!

amy said...

Maggie has always been the same way with doctors--she still thanks them as we leave and she'd almost nine! John has a heart murmur that he's had since he was a toddler, and his activity has never been limited either. Glad for Andrew; glad for your peace of mind!

Mandy said...

Linds, I am so glad for you! (And Andrew, of course!!) Such a precious boy :)