I can't believe I've been a mom of two little boys for 3 weeks! I have learned a lot in the first 3 weeks:
1. Crying is OKAY. There are times in the day when Nathanael may fuss or cry for a few minutes and I have learned - it's ok. He will be fine. When Andrew was an infant, if he made the smallest little whimper we were there immediately to pick him up and meet his every need at that moment. Well with two little boys and one of me... that can't happen now. Sometimes both boys need or want me and I've come to grips with a little noise. Two nights ago Mark and I laughed about this. We were trying to eat dinner and hold an adult conversation. Andrew was singing loudly and asking me for more milk over and over. Mark was eating while holding Nathanael and he started crying. It was loud and crazy but Mark and I just laughed and went on with our conversation. Two minutes later their little desires were met and it was quiet again. This brings me to point number two.
2. Find humor in the crazy moments. You just have to laugh at yourself or at the moment because there are a lot of crazy moments! At the time it may seem stressful but looking at the big picture it's funny.
3. Give your body time heal. For some reason I think I should be able to birth a baby and automatically be back to normal. Oh no, that's not how it works. I have to constantly remind myself to rest and not over do it. I can definetly tell when I over do it. I also have to remind myself that it takes time to get your pre-baby body back ... oh size small, I'll be back one day :)
4. My priorities have to be in order: The Lord Jesus, Mark, kids, family, friends, then the rest. If not I will fail: my strength comes from the Lord!
5. Extreme multitasking. I have taken multitasking to a whole new level. I can now prepare meals, eat, feed Andrew, read stories, play legos, help Andrew go to the potty, color, etc... all while nursing a baby. Oh the list goes on.... really just rise to the occasion.
6. Ask your toddler to help. Andrew is very eager to "help" me. He loves to be involved. He helps me by handing me diapers and wipes, throwing dirty diapers in the trash can, burping Nate, giving Nate his passy, kissing him or singing to him when fussy, reading him stories, and his new thing is wanting to nurse Nathanael. Yes, he crawled up on the couch yesterday and put Nathanael's mouth on his chest and said, "Eat Andy's Milk"!
7. Getting out and about makes me feel good. The past 3 days I have had small little outings and it makes me feel like a 'normal' person. I was terrified and intimidated the first day but it went SO well. The key is to park right next to the shopping carts and put the boys right in the cart. We went to Babies-R-Us, Hobby Lobby, and the doctor the first day. Yesterday we met my mom for lunch at O'Charley's and I got both boys in the restaurant and seated with no problems. Andrew has been very obedient and helpful- which makes ALL the difference in the world.
8. The boys are so different already. As an infant Andrew loved to be swaddled where as, Nathanael wants his hands by his face when he sleeps. Andrew did not have a pacifier until he was 4-6 weeks old. Nathanael had one on day three. When Nathanael was in the hospital on his 2 day of life he found his middle and ring finger and began to suck on them. The nurse told me you may find that he is eager to suck even after feeding. She was right!
9. Taking time for myself is crucial even if it's 10 minutes. I have an amazing husband who loves to help with the kids. He understands that I need a break and is happy to give it to me. I may go to the store by myself, take a bath, call a friend, read the Bible, sit outside in the sunshine. Whatever it may be that day... it rejuvenates me.
10. Playdates are wonderful for Andy and me! We are both very social and love to have friends over. He loves to play as much as I love to have adult interaction. Thank you Lord for sweet friends near and far!
1 comment:
loved this post. love to see the growth process in you, girl! beautiful! what an amazing mom, and woman you are, friend.
loved how andy wanted him to eat his milk! i have lots of friend with girls (my ak included) who have tried that with their new little sibling,s but never heard of a big brother trying git! it was affectionately know as "God's special milk" around here!
praising the Lord for your smooth time of transition. remember, just like sanctification, is it all a PROCESS. kudos to you!
love you!
steph
Post a Comment