We asked Mark's parent's Sunday School Class if they would like to help us provide for the family. We are so thankful they did! We took: a baby doll with doll accessories and rolling floor toy to the almost 2 year old named Bawi Chin. A book bag with coloring book, pens, crayons, notepad, book and a barbie to the 7-8 year old girl named Bawi. A soccer ball, lego kit, and book to the 9-10 year old boy named Dawt. A bike, stuffed animals, and operation christmas child shoe box filled with goodies for all the kids to share. A purse for the mom. A Wal-Mart gift card for the dad. We also brought 4 bags of groceries and a few sweet treats for the family.
As we drove to Clarkson we prayed that they would be at home. You see they have no phone - so there is no way of contacting them. When we arrived the kids and I stayed in the car as Mark went to knock on the door. From the car I could see huge smiles and a warm welcome as they opened their apartment door for Mark. He went inside and later told me the father was so happy to see him that he gave him a big hug :) A minute later the door opened and they all came running out to the truck. The father, named San, LOVES Andy. He reached for him and played with him the entire time we were there. The rest of the family helped us carry items inside. They had no idea what was inside the packages!
Side note: the children are the ONLY ones who speak and understand English. The English they do speak and understand is limited which makes for a challenging yet funny attempt at communication.
Dawt is in fourth grade. He says he can understand English pretty well but cannot read it. Bawi is in the second grade. She can speak English well but is very timid in trying. She is a great reader! She read me the book we brought her! When I told her that I used to teach second grade her face lit up!
Okay back to the story: When we first got inside we handed the father, San, a Christmas card that we had written on. In the card we explained to him that we wanted to give them gifts because God gave us the best gift Jesus and wanted to share His love with them. Dawt translated the card to his father. Next, we handed out the gifts. They were so grateful! You could see it all over their sweet faces. The children weren't sure how to act at first. Two of the kids went to the bedroom to open their gifts and then brought the gifts back out to show us :)
Communication is 10% verbal and 90% nonverbal. I learned this while volunteering at a Refugee Camp in Germany. It was such a neat experience... I will never forget it! Everyone spoke different languages but you we communicated through body language. It is the same with this family. I think that is one reason they love our kids so much. They don't feel pressure to speak to them.
Before we left we asked the father if there was anything they needed. He said he wanted us to teach them English. He showed us his Bible that had some English translation in it. So, Mark and I are going to attempt to teach them English. Any suggestions? I thought about buying picture flashcards- like you use with babies and toddlers?
The aunt and uncle that are living with them are expecting their first child in 2 months. They have nothing for the baby. I really just can't imagine what she must be feeling.... wanting to prepare for your child but having no money, can't speak the language, having no transportation, no place to call your own, etc.. She is having a girl and will be delivering at the local Women's Center. Mark and I are going to give them our bassinet, a few baby blankets, and any infant clothes I have that are not too boyish. Anyone with baby girl item that would like to donate - just let me know! I promise they will be forever grateful!
![]() | ||||||||
| Here I am with all the kids! |
![]() | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| This is the entire family minus the mother. She was at work | . |





No comments:
Post a Comment