** The Africa pictures are poor quality because I took a picture of the picture in my scrapbook
![]() |
| Here are the children just getting back to the school after going to the river |
![]() |
| Do you see the boys coming down the road? Look to the right |
![]() |
| This is the school. Open window, dirt floor, poor supplies if any- but JOY overflowing |
I said, "Andrew do you know there are little boys and girls who don't get to brush their teeth, who don't have water at their house, who don't even have a house?" He looked at me and said , "Come on Mommy!" (that little stinker!). I proceeded to tell him about my trip to Africa and how blessed he is. - Yes, I know he is three. I know all he understands is the world right in front of him, but I pray that my kids can see past themselves and the materialistic culture we live in- After he finished brushing his teeth I showed him my Africa scrapbook and he loved it. He asked to look at it over and over. He wanted me to tell him all about the pictures. I thought to myself.... maybe he will remember this when he is brushing his teeth or washing his hands. The next day came around and the lesson clearly did not stick but I reminded him and I pray that God would use our conversation to help him think past himself. I do pray that my kiddos have a heart for the nations!
I went to Ghana after my freshmen year of college. I went with Stephanie, who discipled me in college and is still an encouragement to me, and Renee who has such a fun loving personality. The picture below was taken as we got off the plane from Africa landing in Atlanta. The dresses we are wearing were given to us as gifts from the locals.
![]() |
| Stephanie, Renee, Me |
I remember driving on dirt roads until there were no more roads. Then we would detour and drive on a dried up riverbed. In the picture the below the people you see helped us get out of the mud. Yes, our van got stuck in a muddy river bed. They pushed and pushed...
.... and then ran alongside our can with excitement... we were coming to their village!
I loved the day we went 'up north'. We were the first white people that some of these children had ever seen. I remember the look on this little girls face- she was probably 2 or 3- she ran to hid behind a tree when she saw us. She was so scared she began crying and her mother had to go get her from behind the tree. They lived in mud huts and were so thankful for what they did have.
![]() |
| Yes, you see extentions in my hair! The missionaries house help wanted to put blond extentions in my hair... so I let them. Never again. Talk about painful! |
One family has a rice night once a month. I love that idea! She says:
We explain to the boys that the money we would have spent on our dinner we are now putting in the jar instead. Once we have the jar full I divide the money up among the boys and take them to the grocery store. There they get to buy healthy food, pay for it and deliver it to our church’s food pantry (where they know people who are hungry come to get food). For dinner the only option is rice. However, later in the night if they are hungry I let them snack – I want it to be a positive experience. It has been cool to see how the older two boys now frequently ask “Is it Rice Night yet?”…and they don’t really like rice.
What are some things your family did growing up or that you do now that have impacted your character?








2 comments:
oh linds,
how precious was this post?!
took me by total surprise to see those pictures!!! it has been 10 years this may!?
when i was looking at those up close pictures of the kids, i couldn't help but think about what they look like right now? so grown up? where are their hearts? do they know Jesus? walk with Him? how the pastors and young churches that we visited there been flourishing under God's mighty hand/Word?
that WAS life changing. life shaping....priceless.
The Nations are a HUGE part of our daily life with our kids....we would long for God to send us overseas one day too, if He so chooses. we have all of the missionary prayer cards of friends
&/or families from our church in the center of our table w/ the napkins and S&P, and they pick one each night and we pray for that family specifically as we pray over our food. over the years, it has spawned GREAT conversations over the meal and beyond. that's one daily way we engage them on the world outside of our 4 walls!
loved this post. i might have to copy those pics and use them, too!
MISS you! love you, dear sister!
Steph,
I thought the same things about the children in the pictures. There was one specific boy that lived in the village behind The Mozley's house. When I saw pictures of him I could remember conversations that we all had with him- he helped children come to the Bible School. What about the 'house help', Eddie -the driver, the women's ministry that was started in 'the bush', the children at the school...the list goes on???
I love the idea of praying for missinaries/ families at dinner. We will have to incorporate that idea. Thanks for sharing!
MISS YOU
Post a Comment