Sunday, December 4, 2011

Jesse Tree

One of my favorite things about Christmas is doing our Jesse Tree together every night. It really is such a sweet time sharing the gospel with our kids every night and waiting for Christ birth!



Last year I wrote this and it is an echo of my heart again this year:

'It's so hard for me not to get caught up in the fun yet craziness of the Christmas season: shopping, parties, busy schedules, crafts, baking, presents, family gatherings, material items, etc.. Whew~ All the sudden Christmas has come and gone and did I really enjoy it? Did I really focus on the TRUE meaning of Christmas? Did I really worship my Savior? Did I really set my heart on the glorious coming of Christ? It is only Christ alone who can make Christmas.'

The Jesse Tree has really helped me to daily focus on Christ. It might possibly be my favorite part about Christmas. I love having family devotions each night and really focusing on the TRUE meaning of Christmas- Our Savior's Birth. What is a Jesse Tree? Good question! Its an Advent celebration of the symbolic, spiritual heritage of Jesus Christ. It traces the special people and events in the Bible that lead to Jesus' birth. We love to read and place the ornaments each day on the Christmas tree while learning about God's perfect plan.

Each night we gather in the boys room with their Jesse Tree - a 5 ft lighted Christmas tree-  and read the passage from the Bible and the devotion for the day. Then the boys put the ornament on the tree that goes with our passage. I printed out ornaments, laminated them, mounted them to cardboard and then burgundy or green card stock.  I love this new free Jesse Tree devotional with printable ornaments. Although, this  child friendly devotional is better for the kids now. 

If you google "Jesse Tree" thousands or resources will come up. I want to encourage you to celebrate advent. The word, advent, comes from a Latin word. It means "coming".  Aren't we all waiting for Christ's coming? He is coming! Worship Him with me!

No comments: