
How did the Lord bring us to Life University? Great question! When Mark graduated from Shorter College he applied to medical school. At the time we were engaged and thought that it would be wonderful to live overseas and do medical missions. I had been to Ghana, West Africa a few years before and wanted to serve there. Mark had just gotten back from a mission trip to Honduras. Needless to say, we were ready to go wherever the Lord wanted to send us. Mark took the MCAT and did well. When he went to the medical school interview they told him that he needed more hospital experience. So the following year Mark worked in the hospital. While working there, he began to see many problem with our current health care such as the amount of control that insurance companies have. His heart was changing from emergent health care to preventative health care.
A year after we got married I began to have heart problems. Long story short.... I went to our family doctor, cardiologist, electrophysiologist, had MANY test done, wore heart monitors and eventually had surgery. After the surgery I still had problems. When I went back to the cardiologist and electrophysiologist they were puzzled. The electrophysiologist actually told me that I was a pain in butt. His words- b/c he couldn't figure out what was wrong. They ended up putting me on medicine that I would probably take most of my life. So I had more testing. Still no answer. A friend of ours suggested that I go to a chiropractor. I LAUGHED thinking yeah right, like that is going to help me. I had never been to a chiropractor and thought they were weird. I didn't want anyone pushing or popping me. NO thank you. Basically I was ignorant and thought that chiropractors were only for people who had been in a car accident. Mark and I both were not big fans of chiropractors and incredibly skeptical of them. Well when nothing else was working for me... Mark and I thought well lets go talk to one and ask tons of questions before we let them adjust us. So off we went to a chiropractor. The first thing the chiropractor did was educate us about WHAT chiropractic care is. Next, they took x-rays and did a scan on us. The scan showed that I may have problems with my heart. The chiropractor asked me if I have ever had heart problems. No kidding! Mark and I had told him NOTHING about my heart. So we began to get adjusted regularly and I am now off of all heart medicine and have had no heart problems in 2 years! Whoo hoo! My heart was just one factor in how God lead us to chiropractic care. Believe it or not, this is the short version of our journey to understanding chiropractic care.
Mark and I are both a little "granola". We try to eat healthy -using organic food when possible. We had Andrew naturally- using the Bradley Method. We don't take medicine unless absolutely necessary. We believe it is best to try the least invasive treatment and prevention first. Chiropractic care is a perfect fit for us. Please don't misunderstand me... I think medical doctors are amazing and I am so thankful for them. Although, I do think that people are over medicated and have a wrong perception of what health is.
Please pray for us! This week we have been going to orientation and Mark starts school on Monday. We learned today that there is an opportunity to spend the last 2 or 3 quarters overseas working with a chiropractor. One of the options is even working in Ghana, West Africa! Mark is also very interested in getting an additional pediatric certification. Our goal is to have a 'family centered' chiropractic office. We are very excited to see where the Lord will take us with all of this!
1 comment:
ok,so, i have been traveling like crazy and have not been checking in on my fav blogs in about a month--so, i am just now getting around to saying THANK YOU and HOW COOL God's story is with yall and chiropractic school! thanks for filling me in on how yall got there. so neat.
love checking in on you--makes me feel so connected to your life.
how cool would it be if after all this time and stuff that God has done, yall went back and served in Ghana?! we'd have to go together again!!! stick me in your suitcase!
love you, girl!
* so glad you got an ergo--don't you LOVE it? it makes me feel so freed up to do things, even with 2 kids.
stephanie lyon
*let me know if you got this comment so long after your post was written, please. :) thx!
Post a Comment