It's no secret that parenting can be challenging. There are days when Andrew acts like a perfect little angel and everything he does is just so cute and precious. And then there are days when I think I might just pull my hair out. We are trying to teach Andrew to obey the FIRST time we ask him to do something. We have not mastered this yet, but we are working on it. Today as Andrew and I were driving to story time, I was reminding him that he needs to obey mommy the first time I ask him to do something. I was telling him that in the Bible Jesus says to obey your mother and father. It makes Jesus happy to see him obey. I also reminded him that if he doesn't obey he will get a spanking, etc...
When we got to the library he was standing next to me holding my hand as we were picking out books. I said, "Andrew thank you for obeying mommy". He then kept saying, "Jesus Bible says obey mommy" :)
A friend of mine sent me this quote today and I found it very encouraging. It is from girltalk
“Oftentimes parenting can feel like a battle. And the “enemy” is your two-year-old who’s just thrown their dinner on the floor (again); or your fifteen-year-old, who’s just slammed the door on you (again). But still your job is to show them what our Father in heaven is like. Yes, they need to learn to live under authority. But they also need to learn of a God who welcomes His enemies, loves His enemies and gives His life for his enemies.” (Gospel Centred Family by Tim Chester and Ed Moll)
As you march toward mothering battles today, may God give you grace to welcome, love, and give your life for your little (or not so little) “enemy”—as Christ first loved and gave Himself for you.
2 comments:
can relate to this post in every way, my friend.
see if you can get him to memorize eph 6:1, "children, OBEY your parents in the Lord..." may take him a little longer, but you will be SO surprised at how early he will be capable of memorizing Scripture...this was the first verse we taught Anna Kate, right when she turned 2, and from then on, I have been able to ask her in a moment of disobedience,: AK, what does the Bible say about the choice you just made, etc..." it is just so powerful to see the LIVING Word stirring her own her--so much more to say, but this is a blog comment, after all!?! :)
of course, the older she got, the more of that verse we taught her, and love all of the Gospel-centered conversations that spawn from using it is those many moments!
love to you, friend!
So funny you mention this---I've started reading through Psalms this week and just yesterday as I was reading about David crying out to the Lord re: his enemy I realized that for this season of life my children are what pose as my "enemy." A good reminder to keep looking up and ahead!
Post a Comment