Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Halloween

My sweet mom came over Halloween morning to bring the boys some goodies. She also brought chocolate cupcake mix and orange frosting... they baked and decorated! It was a special treat for the boys- we don't have cupcakes often. They thoroughly enjoyed them!


When the boys woke up from their naps Mark's mom, Mimi, went with us to a Fall Festival at a local church. This fall festival was huge = 8 bounce houses, rock wall, hayrides, 'train rides', cake walks, face painting, pictures, cotton candy, corn dogs and popcorn, and all the normal festival games!

Andy's favorite bounce house was made for little ones just his size!

It took Nate awhile to warm up to the bounce house but he liked it once he got going
Fishing for goodie bags with Mimi

Then we came home to meet Mark for trick-or-treating. Andrew was so funny! He would loudly say "TRICK-OR-TREAT" and then wait for them to give him candy. He would keep his bag open and look at them for more, sometimes he would even reach in their bowl and try to take more. Wow! Who is this kid? Nate was just excited to follow Andrew around and climb stairs. He was more interested in getting the attention of our neighbors. He would smile, flirt, talk, and always ended with a sweet "thank you" and wave "bye-bye".

(my camera lens is being repaired so my pictures aren't as good as I would have hoped)




I read an article this year from John Piper regarding Halloween and I thought it was interesting and worth sharing. Here are some of the highlights:

So I would hope that all Christians would think biblically and carefully about any holiday, any event, and how they might be salt and light in it. And if they feel like this can be of value to the kids in some way, to teach them—if it can be an innocent way of enjoying God's grace and teaching lessons—so be it.
I'm willing to run the risk of attachment to worldliness in order to be biblically faithful in witness. The same thing with Christmas and birthdays and Easter and worshipping on Sunday. All of these things have pagan connections.
I want to be loose and broad and give freedom to believers to find their way to be most effective. So I respect those who are renouncing it as too connected with evil, and I respect those who say, "No, let's redeem it and penetrate it and use it."

No comments: