Monday, January 23, 2012

toys, toys, toys


This is my life right now.... one mess after another... all the while the kids are having a GREAT time! Yes, they clean up but not without me standing over them instructing each step of the way. So I have implemented a new toy system. I'm hoping it works! You see my boys are 'dumpers'. They have a nice big playroom and instead of choosing few toys to play with they dump everything out. Once they have dumped everything out they are overwhelmed with all they see and don't end up really playing with the toys or they drag them ALL over the house. Hot Wheels... oh how I hate to hear the sounds of Hot Wheels being dumped....in just a few minutes there are cars in every room of the house.

After Christmas I cleaned out toys, gave some away, and reorganized. I made a trip to Target and bought lots of storage containers. Now the toys are in their own bins: legos, balls, army men, hot wheels, mr. potato head, tools, trains, blocks, puzzles, etc... They are in a closet out of reach of the kiddos. Each day the kids get to choose two bins to play with. When they are ready for a new bin they have to clean up the current bin and I exchange it for them. It has worked great the past week... hoping it continues!

Here are my thoughts:
The less stuff the easier to organize, the easier for the child to clean up himself, the MORE play that goes on, the less destruction. I have found that TOO many choices the boys seem agitated, overwhelmed, and argue more. I read this on Clover Lane Blog about dumping toys and I couldn't agree more:
I have found that the way WE treat the space-respectful and worth of neatness and organization-will be the example the kids need in how THEY treat the space-and their toys. When I see something being thrown or played with for the sole purpose of destruction or just dumped for the sake of dumping, I am absolutely all over that behavior and I don't hesitate to send them on one big guilt trip for it (which is usually effective), or to take things away if needed.  I don't think destroying or ruining or breaking toys is a "boy thing" and I would not tolerate it.  (This is different from just the way boys play with super heroes in heated battles, or build towers of blocks to knock over.)  It might take awhile to get the message but once you send it loud and clear, I bet that behavior will improve.

No comments: