Thursday, April 12, 2012

preschool time

How is preschool going? When do you teach Andrew? I have gotten those questions recently. So I thought I would do a quick preschool overview. In the morning while we eat breakfast we read the bible together, review of memory verse that we have learned at church which is just one verse a month, and pray. After breakfast the boys help me clear the table and unload the dishwasher. They play together around the house until Nate's morning rest time. While Nate is resting Andrew and I do 'school'. We have intentional one on one time several day a week. Andrew likes to start with calendar time, the weather , and then we sing our days of the week song. Next we review letters, numbers, and shapes. Then we play "school games". I took these pictures of a what we did a few days ago. It's nothing fancy just fun. 



At the beginning of the school year I had great visions of doing a letter a week and a character trait a week along with fun activities for each. Well that lasted a month or two. I stopped when Andrew wasn't excited about doing it anymore. He was three years old at the time and I did not want to push school. At this age I want him to be a little boy- play outside, run, dig for worms, tackle his brother, cook with me, play with play-doh and crayons, go to the park and library, play with toys, invite friends over, grocery shop, etc... So that is what our days are filled of. Yes, we have intentional time and we read constantly but nothing too structured. Andrew and I love playing games: board games, card games, dominoes, flash card games, school games, etc. My favorite is Zingo


Andrew has recently shown interest in learning to write his letters. He pretends to write notes to his friends. He will walk around with a piece of paper and say, "will you show me how to write the letter __".  So I am planning to start handwriting with him soon and either use the Kumon or Handwriting Without Tears books. He knows all of his letter and letter sounds, so next year I will begin teaching him how to read. Several people have recommended the book Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons   others have said that the book is boring... so not sure what to do there. Any thoughts? Last night I was at my friend Becky's house and she was showing me all her homeschooling stuff. I tell you what she is awesome! I left her house encouraged and full of ideas! 

The big homeschooling conference is in Atlanta the beginning of May. Last year I went with friends and really enjoyed it. I will tell you this - my view of homeschooing has changed for the better. If I'm being honest, I thought all homeschoolers were weird. You know -wore long skirts or dresses, hadn't cut their hair in five years, socially awkward, shy, 18 children in a family, etc.. That is far from the truth. I was happily surprised to see that 75% of the people there were cute normal families. Yes,  there were the stereotypical  Duggar Families and Amish people too. I love it! 

No comments: