Jesus said...,"I am the way, the truth and the life. No one come to the Father except through me."
- John 14:6
For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life.
- John 3:16
Yesterday was Ash Wednesday. In our church community we don't really 'do Lent'. What is Lent? Noel Piper describes Lent as, "a time for turning away from anything that has kept us from God and for turning or returning to him. It is a time to pray that God will renew our love for Him and our dependence on Him". Fasting for 40 days is a very traditional practice to do during Lent. Fasting is only as significant as the intent of the heart. It can easily be a legalistic practice or it can be a way of saying, "Oh, God I want you more than any good thing in my life- food, sweets, tv, computer, shopping, etc..." God alone is the one who fulfill our desires. So this year I am going to be fasting. I'm praying that it would not be me turning away from something for awhile, but instead it would be turning toward God.
I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh, I live by the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
-Galatians 2:20
Family Activities
I would LOVE to hear any family activities that you are doing for Lent or Easter. I have several ideas but I'm not yet sure what to do. Here are some ideas:
Resurrection or Easter Tree
Play dough Easter Mountain found in Treasuring God in Our Traditions, Noel Piper
Lenten Candles
Reading Jesus Storybook Bible daily -40 stories and ending with the Resurrection.
Children's Easter related stories
Resurrection Eggs
A Holy Experience ideas and book list
.... and of course we will have fun Easter Egg Hunts. Here's Andy the past two years
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. (1 Peter 1:3-5)


2 comments:
Thought you might like Scotty Smith's thoughts on Lent:
A Prayer for a Gospel Saturated Lent
Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? They cannot, so long as they have him with them. But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast. Mark 2:19-20
Dear Jesus, it’s Ash Wednesday, the beginning of the season of Lent. For the next forty days we have the privilege of surveying your cross and preparing for the greatest of all celebrations—Easter Sunday, the foundation of our hope and the fountain of eternal joy.
For your glory and our growth, we ask you to inundate us with fresh grace in the coming weeks. We don’t want an ordinary Lenten season, Jesus. Saturate it with the gospel. It’s all about you, Jesus. It is all about you what you’ve done for us, not what we promise to do for you.
Sadly, I used to dread Lent like late summer football practice. A lot of striving and sweat mixed in with much uncertainty and fear. “What’s the coach think about my performance? Am I doomed to sit on the bench? Will I even make the team this year?” What a misuse of the season of Lent. What a complete misrepresentation of the gospel. What a dismal way to live the Christian life. We’re your betrothed bride, not a beleaguered people.
Indeed, Jesus, we begin Lent today anticipating our wedding, not our funeral. Jesus, for you’re the loving Bridegroom who died to make us your cherished bride. The work’s already done; the dowry has been paid in full; the wedding dress of your righteousness is already our; the invitations have been sent out; the date has been secured; you’ll not change your mind! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
Over these next 40 days intensify our hunger, assurance, and longing for the Day of your return—the Day of consummate joy, the wedding feast of the Lamb. In light of that banquet, we choose to deny ourselves (fast) certain pleasures for this brief season. But we’re not looking to get one thing from you, Jesus, just more of you. Fill our hearts with your beauty and bounty, so very Amen, we pray, in your holy and loving name.
I think the idea of 40 stories in 40 days are the best!!!
Ill try to do that at home...
Kisses and blessings.
Mirys from Brazil
www.diariodos3mosqueteiros.blogspot.com
Post a Comment